Wednesday, December 31, 2008

online holiday letter


Sam used to write a Christmas letter for us each year but he hasn't for a few years now. I wasn't thinking and made fun of what he said in one and I haven't seen one since.

Instead of mailing out a holiday letter I decided to post one online instead. See if I mailed it now I would be very late but instead by posting it here online I still beat 2009.

2008 has been a year of big highs and big lows but at the end of the year I can honestly say it has been the best year yet. It started out with Sam looking for a new job after his previous company downsized. While it certainly wasn't fun to look for a new job for him and to edit his follow-up letters and introductory letters for me in the end he ended up with a job he really enjoys.

It also meant that he suddenly had a ton of free time in which to play and travel with me for the first few months of the year. Sam is a bit of a workaholic so suddenly we were able to pick up and leave at the last minute together. We got in quite a bit of skiing though I still won't be starring in any Warren Miller films unless it is a blooper reel. We had some incredible snow days with fresh deep powder and even better relatively short lift lines.

We started our travels in January at Playa del Carmen with my sister Tanya, her husband Corey, my sister Carla, her husband Dave, Corey's brother Eric, and his wife Jodi. It is now my favorite place in Mexico. With the beautiful beaches, fabulous food, and clear warm water we didn't want to ever pack up and leave.

In March the Cougs once again made the March Madness tournament and Sam, Carla, Dave, and I headed to Denver to watch them play (and win) in person. Dave and Sam even managed to get some skiing in on one of the off days. Lets hope they make it again and we get this opportunity once more. I would say it is even better than going to a college bowl game.

By May our boat was finally back in the water just in time for Opening Day of boating season. I would say once again the Cougs represented well and made our presence known through the Montlake Cut. Unfortunately now Sam was once again employed so he wasn't able to spend his entire summer on the boat.

Throughout the summer months (though I wouldn't call them warm at all this year with the exception of a very few days) we spent most of our weekends on the boat. In late June we spent the weekend on our boat in Bremerton and then early Sunday morning headed out for Cave B by the Gorge. By Sunday afternoon we were checked into our cabin on the cliff for a few days of lazing by the pool with Tanya and her 2 boys. We called this maximizing our summer.

In July we took our boat to Anancortes so we could go up to the San Juans on the weekends before our week long vacation in August. We were able to visit Salt Spring Island in Canada along with numerous favorites in the San Juan Islands. It was hard to come back home. I decided I could definitely spend an entire summer just cruising the San Juan and Gulf Islands - now just need to figure out how to make that happen.

When summer started to come to an end we received news that Sam's mom had been hit by a car while riding her bicycle. She was critically injured and the next few weeks were spent in New Mexico or worrying about her when we couldn't be there. Luckily her recovery surpassed all of our expectations and she was at her mom's house by Christmas. She is still recovering but we are so thankful for how quickly she has healed so far.

Family definitely pulls through during these times and we were the lucky benefits of this. Her friends rallied around as well. We met many of her friends and became even closer as a family with me inheriting a new grandma since Sam's grandma offered to be my grandma now since I lost mine earlier in the year.

In October Sam had a business trip to Amsterdam and I invited myself along. While he was teaching classes I was out exploring the city and figuring my way along the canals. In the evenings when he got back to the hotel I would then know where to go for dinner and what sights to see. We took a day trip to Brussels and now I know for a fact they do make the best chocolate there. To do a thorough quality inspection I sampled a few chocolates from each store and when we got home I realized I should have bought even more chocolates.

I am anxiously waiting to find out from Sam where his next international work trip will take him so I can tag along again.

We still managed to get out on the boat a few more times in October, November, and December. Sometimes the weather cooperated and other times it was a bit chilly but we have heat and I can always go down below while Sam gets out his foul weather gear. We even were able to go to San Francisco and get out on a 54' Hanse for a casual race and sail around the bay.

For Thanksgiving this year we had it at our house. I had a good time making the food with my mom and then having family over to our house. Brining a turkey is now my new way to prep the turkey before cooking. Christmas was at Westcott Bay at my parents. Once again we ate too much food and played a ton of Scrabble.

Throughout the year we had many adventures with friends and family both on and off the boat, though am sure Sam's favorite times were on or around his boat. I even learned how to dock the boat though only in very light wind.

I don't know how 2009 will come close to topping this past year with all that happened but we will give it our best shot. We are starting off January again with another trip to Playa del Carmen so we are on the right track. Our boat isn't in the shop either this winter so we will have even more boating adventures. We hope you can get out with us on the boat in 2009.

Happy Sailing to you and your families and may you always be downwind - much less leaning that way! Happy New Year.

Love,
Sam & Kayla

2 comments:

TropZone's Blog said...

Kayla- I enjoy reading your blog posts! You and Sam should make plans to bring your boat to the Latitudes and Attitudes Magazine NW Cruisers party in Poulsbo this summer. Last year we had about 110boats! It's free and there's a sign-up thread on the Cruiser's Forum bulletin board at seafaring.com Congrats on the new boat! Dave Calhoun

Kayla said...

Dave - Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like fun - will definitely go check it out. Poulsbo is always one of our favorite destinations.
Kayla