Thursday, December 4, 2008

fair weather boaters?


Black Friday is a shopping day for most but to Sam a day off especially on a Friday is an excuse to take his boat out. Why fight the shopping crowds when you can have the Sound pretty much to yourself is his way of thought. He would never pass up an opportunity to go sailing for shopping.

I invited other family members to join him on the water. I didn't even have to ask my dad I assumed he would definitely be there with Sam. After all he was the first mate on the maiden voyage from Bellingham with less than desirable conditions and thought it was a blast. I was just happy I wasn't along and was instead shopping with my mom - there seems to be a theme here.

A few other brave souls wanted to go as well. Friday didn't dawn with sunny clear skies but instead with rain but Sam was undeterred. They all headed out for a sail. Turns out on Elliott Bay it was also a bit windy. Sam definitely had to put up the sails since he had a hardy crew though he did tell me the sails were down by the time the wind hit 28 MPH. Yep that is right he told me about it later since I needed to accompany my mom and some cousins shopping.

Honestly I don't care how much it was blowing and if the sails were up or down as long as I am not on the boat in those conditions. After all one of the best sails they have had I wasn't on the boat and it was in 20+ MPH wind. But then if I was on the boat they wouldn't have been sailing if I had anything to say about it. I am the family sailing wimp. A bit ironic but then someone has to be the voice of reason at least in my opinion.

My mom didn't want to drive with all the traffic to take my cousins shopping so I offered. I passed up an opportunity to go out in rainy windy conditions on the boat to shop with everyone else. That is just the kind of daughter I am - offering to spend quality time with my mom and get a bit of retail therapy in.

Did I mention Sam and dad didn't even set the crab pot on Friday - turns out it was a bit rough to take the dinghy out in. Whenever those 2 decide to not go out in a boat (even if it is only 9') I don't want to be out in our boat.

Of course to prove I am not a total wimp I will be going to Port Orchard on our boat this weekend. But if it is blowing 20+ and choppy I might just be sleeping on the boat in Elliott Bay. Hey it still counts - the boat is being used. There is always Seattle shopping if it gets too cold.

No comments: