Monday, December 15, 2008

a coug weekend


The Christmas season must be here since the weekends are busier than usual. This weekend it was an all Coug weekend. It started with the Cougar Yacht Club Party on Friday evening. It was an adult only party but Levi saw a dog there when he stopped by to say hi. He asked if the dog was an adult dog since kids weren't allowed and that went for dogs as well.

I am just surprised they made it since it took 6 hours from Wenatchee. I probabaly would have given up but fortunately they survived the trek. Sam wouldn't have made it since his drive time limit is 5 hours door to door. This just works since is how long it takes to get to Pullman with bathroom breaks included.

Friday it was definitely stormy - the weather forecasters called this one accurately. While I was on the boat it was leaning sideways as it was being blown into the dock. Fortunately Sam ties a pretty good lines so the boat stayed in place it just was a bit lopsided. Since we stayed the night on the boat the guys at the marina asked if we were having a hurricane party and thought we were a bit crazy.

Saturday was the Cougar basketball game at Key Arena. It was the nephews first basketball game and they said it is much better to watch in person. I would have to agree with their assessment. We were all decked out in our Cougar gear except for Carla - turns out she doesn't have any pregnant Cougar shirts. This could me a new line of clothing as I would think there would be some demand.

As we left the game it was snowing big huge flakes. That is the way to end a Saturday evening - a Coug victory (where I wasn't nervous at all since we won easily) and snow on your way home.

Sunday was the morning was the Jingle Bell Run! It was chilly with wind. Tanya and I were excited for the Elf Run of 1K with Levi and Justin but they would have rather stayed at Starbucks. After we were cruel and made them participate they got to hang out in a warm toasty Starbucks again with Uncle Sam.

T and I didn't stay cold for long. After jogging a bit (am using this term loosely since for the first kilometer you could hardly jog at all) I was definitely warm and 1/2 way through the gloves were off. I think I ran more than Tanya thought I would since the last time I ran at all was last year during the Jingle Bell Run.

I refrained from saying this year that next year I would run the whole thing. After all I had said that the previous 5 years and it has never happened. Maybe this next year I will actually do it. Well probably not but it sounds good. I have to say running just really isn't my thing and I don't think I have ever achieved the runner's high, just the runner's side cramps.

We made it without falling on the ice though it was pretty slick in places. Seeing all the costumes is worth getting up for early on a Sunday. Since it was a Coug weekend we continued by dressing as Cougar elves. It meant it was an excuse to buy more Coug wear and show off our school spirit. There were quite a few Go Cougs shouted in our direction. Plus a Coug hat is just more festive with jingle bells on it. I don't think Levi is going to take his off anytime soon.

In order to undo any good we might have done ourselves we headed off to a big brunch. Somehow food tastes even better after exercise and being in the cold.

The weekend finished in the hot tub. That is where I belong after a 6K (I get to count the 1K with the little dudes) and a chilly, snowy, weekend - in a big tub of hot water wishing it wasn't Sunday evening and wondering once again where my weekend went.

No comments: