Thursday, December 18, 2008

let it snow


Snow has arrived in the Seattle area. The big storm warning was for yesterday and in anticipation all the area schools closed. That is what happens in the Puget Sound where just the threat of snow will close all the school districts, we have snow phobia around here. Yes it makes no sense unless you have ever been in Seattle when it snowed then it all becomes very clear.

Then I waited and waited and waited some more - no new snow. In fact my snow in the back yard started to melt. But still I had hope that we would get our promised snow delivery. I went to the gym last night and all the classes were cancelled seems they took their lead from the school closures. Yet not a flake in sight.

I guess everyone reads the internet and listens to the news and they don't actually look outside to see what is really happening. Guess what - no snow (unless they saw some that had fallen Saturday evening) just a bit of wind but no one bothered to actually verify the weather report through the window.

I must have gotten sucked in as well since I kept waiting for the elusive snowflakes. This morning it finally happened though it was a day late. We had snow - well not much but it still counted. I turned to the internet (yes but I actually looked outside the window first) to see what had happened everywhere else. Turns out we had the smallest amount of snow in the area and it would continue throughout the day with many areas receiving 6 inches or more. I was feeling a bit left out with our piddly amount. I didn't have enough for even a miniature snowman.

Yeah we still had snow even if it wasn't the amount I had hoped for. Then I remembered Sam had to fly out to the airport this morning and I had baked feverishly for the last 2 days to give out to my team and co-workers. This wasn't good timing. My baked goods would be going stale and Sam wouldn't be enjoying the snow with me.

My excitement quickly dissipated even more when I realized I would have to make the trek outside and drive with those horrible Seattle drivers who absolutely cannot drive in the snow. I don't count - I was born in Wenatchee which means I consider myself a good winter driver (well I was once and somehow I still believe until I have to drive in the snow). Plus I usually have Sam to drive me around.

There is no way I was going to let him take his sports car out - I took it out last winter when he had taken my truck - it suddenly gets very popular with Sam when it snows - and I thought the snow was almost gone. I slid all the way down the street and then figured I might as well keep going since I didn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

He would drive there but then I would have to get back home all by myself - suddenly this snow thing didn't seem like a good idea I hadn't thought it all the way through. But it was to late to ask for a reschedule it was here. Obviously I made it back from the airport almost 3 hours later.

I will say the upside is that all the parking lots looked empty so anyone who needs to go shopping or to the post office should make a slow drive to the stores and get your Christmas wrapped up - there won't be any competition for you.

Right now it is still snowing and I don't have Sam with me to go sledding at midnight with me down the hills. I might round up a neighborhood kid or 2 to see if they want to take a run with me. If you have seen our hill one knows that just a few runs will alleviate any guilt from not going to the gym.

In the meantime I am going to check my schedule to determine when the next good day would be for snow and see if it can't be planned just a bit better.

No comments: