Friday, June 27, 2008

thumbs up

There is a saying that goes you don't appreciate something until you lose it. Well right now I am appreciating my right thumb, because it is broken. Lets just say when exiting a car make sure all of your body parts have exited before the door closes. Having to open the car door up again to get my thumb out isn't on my list of recommended items to do again. Most of us learned this as children but guess I must be a slow learner. I now know quite a few things you need your thumb for:

1. Typing the letter "n" on your keyboard - never noticed how many words have an "n" in them.
2. Buttoning your pants - never realized most of my pants have a top button until now.
3. Opening any package.
4. Using a mouse - ever try using your left hand if you are right handed - bit tricky.
5. Styling your hair -lets just say mine isn't looking good and ponytails are out as well - 2 thumbs needed.
6. Working out - good news is that I don't have to do push ups for quite a while now.
7. Writing -my handwriting was getting pretty bad before since I mainly type everything but now a 1st grader would put me to shame. Good thing no one ever really checks the signature against your debit card.
8. Preparing a boat for docking - guess I will be elevated to captain status for a bit instead of first mate.
9. Shaving your legs - the left hand misses quite a few spots I must say.
10. Golfing - I now have an excuse for my game now.

I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. Problem is a broken thumb is a pretty boring injury. When I went to the Doctor 2 days later he reminds me this is an injury he primarily sees in children (I only went under duress, I mean really what are they going to do other than say yep its broken and give me a mini splint). I really need to come up with a better story - the car door isn't really cutting it and just gets me a laugh instead of sympathy.

No comments: