Monday, June 30, 2008

running to the mailbox


Why is it that I am still excited to go out to my mailbox? Most days my mail consists of 6 credit card offers, 3 catalogs full of items I would like to purchase but can't afford, 1 catalog from an unknown company full of junk, coupon flyers to restaurants I have never heard of, a real estate postcard showing me a house for sale in my own neighborhood (really am I going to bother to pack up all my junk to move 1 street over), at least 2 magazines we actually did order but never get around to reading, letters looking for a handout, and my absolute favorite - bills.

I am a bit amused with myself that I still look forward to getting the mail. Really most of it just goes directly into my recycle bin and the few items making it into my house go into the recycle bin when the paper pile starts getting a bit out of control in our office.

Once upon a time - ok now I sound like a fairy tale but it does actually seem like one now - I received mail on a regular basis that was actually made it worth visiting the mailbox. Letters (before my mother realized email is how all of her children communicate and needed to jump on the technology bandwagon so she could hear from us on a semi-regular basis), hand written invitations before the Evite invasion, and even the occasional check.

The best time for mail was in college when I received care packages but I haven't received homemade cookies in the mail in quite some time, longer than I care to admit. Somehow I must be a bit delusional and believe since once upon a time cookies showed up along with a check from mom that it could still happen and I better rush out and get them before they get stale. Guess until it sinks in I will still look forward to my jaunt across the street in hopes of chocolate chip cookies and a big check.

No comments: