Monday, June 9, 2008

rain rain go away

Rain rain go away and come again in November. I just read today that so far for June we are averaging 10 degrees BELOW normal. This is chilly since June normally isn't a warm month here in the Seattle area. In fact this is the coldest June so far on record when they starting tracking such things back in 1891.

It is hard to be worried about global warming with weather like this - in fact I am hoping for global warming around here right about now. It is pretty hard to take something like global warming seriously when I am thinking about wearing gloves and a scarf in June, seems like global cooling may be a more accurate assessment.

Normally I love the weather in Seattle and enjoy the rain and gray, partly because I am so fair that I turn pink in 15 minutes and with weather like this I don't have to slather myself with sunscreen every day since very little of my skin is exposed.

I also don't have to wear a swim suit very often. This is another great advantage of living here - usually the only time you need one is if you are going for a very quick swim in any of our lakes or the sound and when you get out you immediately wrap a towel around yourself for warmth.

Right now even I am getting a bit bummed out about our weather - 50 degrees with pouring rain isn't my idea of June (and this is during the hot part of the day). I refuse to wear a coat but at lunch I was wishing I hadn't been quite so determined not to grab one this morning, instead I just cranked up my seat heaters to high. At the rate it is going I will need to start wearing a life jacket to go outside.

On the bright side my yard is quite green and the trees I recently planted should be doing quite well if they don't drown first. I also saw our air quality is excellent right now as well so we will rust out first before encountering any harmful effects from air pollution.

No comments: