Tuesday, June 3, 2008

jouney vs the destination

Sam and I have vastly different views on boating. He prefers the process of getting to our destination while I want to be there. Hence our different preferences in types of boats. I prefer a power boat while his passion is sailboats. We both love the water but I relax when we are in port while his relaxation comes during the journey.

I am not especially relaxed during the journey part especially if the skies aren't blue, the sun isn't out, and waves are bigger than a foot tall. The unfortunate part of that is we live in Seattle where those 3 items are rare indeed and all together only for a few days a year.

Sam on the other hand thoroughly enjoys the entire experience with the exception of my nervousness. It isn't to say I never enjoy the journey but my favorite place is in port relaxing on the boat or on shore. I am comfortable on boats but have no desire to ever sail around the world. If for some reason Sam ever decides to do this I will be meeting him in ports around the world via our friendly skies.

Fortunately for Sam I am not quite as nervous now during the journey piece but I still am much more relaxed in port or when I am close enough where I can pretend I could swim if needed. I know you won't survive very long in the Sound here but if I am within about a 1/2 mile of land I have the mistaken notion I would be able to swim to shore so I feel much safer. Sam would say that was the control piece of my personality.

Luckily for Sam he has become quite a salesperson and was able to convince me the sailboat was the way to go (though I am still holding out hope of my own powerboat someday - fantasy maybe but then we all need to have dreams). In the meantime I will work on trying to enjoy the journey more while still really appreciating the destination.

No comments: