Thursday, June 5, 2008

10000 steps a day - not even close

I bought a pedometer just over a week ago to track how many steps I was getting in a day. What a shock and not in a good way. Turns out I wasn't walking far at all.

I can blame my cute 4" heels but turns out even when I take them off at the end of the work day I still don't get many steps in. I was blown away at how hard it is for me to get in 10000 steps. On Saturday when we went to Silverwood Theme Park we only got in 7367 steps - how is that possible since I felt like we walked all day long. Yesterday I got in 5172 steps but that included taking Calvin (our dog) for a 25 minute walk at what I considered a brisk pace.

Granted I am not using the pedometer in the morning during my DVR exercise routine but I am mainly doing strength training and yoga so not many steps there and it certainly isn't close to the 5000 I am missing. During the workday I am barely getting to 1000 steps so that is really a large part of the issue.

So instead of emailing everyone, including those within 10 feet of my office, I am going to try and walk over to them and have an actual conversation. Shocking I know not to use email but I have to admit it is getting ridiculous when I email to others in the same office instead of getting out of my chair.

I am aiming for at least 5000 steps now (many more than I was getting before during the week it turns out) and will continue to work on increasing it. I am serious about getting more walking in but not at the cost of wearing stylish high heels - after all my shoes still fit no matter what I weigh.


***Update*** 6/9/08
Turns out to get in 10000 steps I need to visit my parents in the San Juans. On both Saturday and Sunday I got in over 10000 steps. This might explain why they can eat dessert with dinner. Maybe this is a sign that I need to live in the islands - or maybe just retire so I can get away from my computer. Just walk away from the computer will be my new motto.

No comments: