Thursday, July 31, 2008

naked without my book

I confess I must always have a book with me or I feel naked. Anytime I leave the house I have a book or 2 books if I am getting close to the end. I want to ensure I always have reading material with me at all times just in case I have a few extra minutes.

Even when I get ready in the morning I read a magazine while I am blow drying my hair and brushing my teeth. Yes it might be just a tad overkill for most but it turns a routine task into something interesting. Maybe that is my own version of obsessive compulsive behaviour though I don't think it is dangerous as I no longer read at red lights (I am not counting emails here).

I will read about anything except for science fiction and will finish most books even if they aren't particularly interesting. There are very few books I just can't make it through but Lord of the Rings is one of them, I have tried several times and just can't get further than the first 100 pages or so. Not sure what it is but for some reason when I try it seems like work and since I don't have to read for classes anymore I give up.

When I go on vacation I pack at least 2 books per day or 3 if it is a beach vacation with even more reading hours in the day spent on a lounge in front of a body of water. My love of reading goes back to being a child. Everyone in our house was an avid reader though I am probably the biggest devourer of books. Thank goodness for 1/2 price books and their $1 racks. This way I can pick up 50-60 books at a time and then give them to others or leave them behind when I need more room in my suitcase. I do get quite a few strange looks and comments as I bring my books up to the register with people wondering if I am starting my own book store.

I can't even begin to name all the things I have learned from reading. For example I am very grateful I was born when I was and not 100 years ago, I would have never made it over the Oregon trail, I am not cut out for military duty, I have no desire to sail around the world, I wouldn't cut it as a police officer, and I am grateful I don't have to date anymore though it makes for very entertaining reading. The list goes on - I can live vicariously through books without ever having to get dirty, give up my comfy chair or beach chair, or suffer hardships.

Going to the bookstore is like being a kid in a candy store with money in your pocket (otherwise why bother). All the books on every subject imaginable just waiting to be read. I could easily spend all day just browsing and looking at all the possibilities. Being able to just lose myself in my book for hours is one of my favorite ways to pass my time. Even as a kid there are pictures of me falling asleep with my book something I still continue to do as an adult.
If you ever catch me without a book something has gone seriously wrong and I will be frantically trying to find one so I can once again feel secure and know all is right with my world.

No comments: