Friday, August 1, 2008

getting ready to relax


Sam and I are leaving for vacation Friday evening and I have started wondering why there is so much time and energy spent getting ready to relax. Fortunately we don't have to fly anywhere since it is just a 2 hour car ride away. Even so the list of things to get done and pack seems to grow each year. I dread thinking about how much time and energy it will take me in 20 years - by that time I will need to be retired just so I can have the time to go anywhere.

I am not sure why we make it seem so complicated. Rarely am I going somewhere that won't have the basic necessities available if I do forget something. I mean it is not like I am going to the moon or even to a third world country. Most of my destinations have all the basics and often many of the creature comforts available which is why I am going there in the first place. But still I seem to think I have to bring it all with me.

Shoes seem to be something I significantly over pack on. I mean really how many pairs do you need for a week but somehow I think I might need a different pair each day and then I definitely need a different pair for the evening. Going on the boat has simplified this somewhat as even I have to wear flats but then I need flip flops, hiking shoes, boat shoes and the list goes on. After all I want everyone to be able to see the cute pair of shoes I just purchased since a vacation practically demands at least one pair of new shoes.

I also tend to believe that if my suitcase or bag has any room left at all I have forgotten something. I need to fill up this space immediately so then I over pack. If 2 black shirts are needed then I really need to add at least 1 more just in case.

When I need to pack food then I really go overboard. I must think I could starve or we could be stranded and I need to bring enough just in case I suddenly host a large party of teenage boys. If I need food for 3 meals I bring enough for at least 6 just in case. I don't think I have ever run out of food but I certainly don't want to make this the first time. My motto seems to be if I think I will need it bring double the amount.

Sometimes I think less preparation and planning has taken place to invade a country than for me to go vacation. I came by it honestly though since my mom is the ultimate planner. She made a list for everything - food, grocery list, what to pack, list of things to do before vacation, etc. Nothing was left to chance and it seemed that we were always prepared. The boy scouts had nothing on her.

In spite of all my planning and preparation I still always forget something. One time I forgot my packed bag, another time the camera, left 1 shoe behind, forgot the tortillas when making fajitas but I have never forgotten the cooler. Guess that shows where my priorities lay.

No comments: