Thursday, July 17, 2008

i just can't choose 1


I was recently asked where my favorite place was to go for a weekend on our boat. For the life of me I couldn't come up with a definitive answer. Shocking for those who know me since I have an opinion about most everything and am usually more than willing to share it though I do try and avoid the hot ones - politics and religion. I couldn't come up with a definitive answer.

I almost said Poulsbo - since for a quick weekend getaway it has to be a favorite. After all it is a quick jaunt across and then beautiful scenery until the marina. It also has one of my favorite restaurants and quick access to a yummy bakery and some great shopping - what more could one want other than clean restrooms and they have that covered as well.

The next place that came to mind was Succia. A remote getaway on an island only reachable by boat. The harbor is huge with plenty of room for everyone. If you want to get away from it all -other than your fellow boaters this is it. Great trails, plenty of places to use the kayaks or dinghy to explore, and another opportunity to possibly have crab for dinner.

Then I thought of Roche Harbor with the people watching, huge yachts - truly feels like the rich and famous, and those fabulous donuts. Even better it is close to my parents house so there is an opportunity for a home cooked meal or two. Great crabbing is nearby though I am not sure I am willing to share the exact location.

Spencer Spit was my next thought. We had a great day there last year - the one my nephew Levi says was the best day of his entire life, so that must be near the top. Here is a place with mooring buoys - no sleepless nights while hoping your anchor holds, great beaches on both sides, and incredible scenery.

Then I thought of Poets Cove in the Gulf Islands. It always feels like you have really traveled whenever you have to check into customs, even though in reality it is even closer than Succia. The resort is beautiful and the swimming pool is always a bonus. The island has great beaches and plenty of opportunities for hiking down to a remote and secluded beach.

I could go on and on. How can I choose a favorite destination when there are so many beautiful and unique places right in my own backyard. What a great place to live. Must be summer in Seattle right now since I am feeling the love and truly appreciating living in the best place in the world. Hard to remember those gray rainy days just a few weeks ago. I am sure I will discover new favorites this summer and it will be even tougher to just think of one favorite.

No comments: