Monday, July 21, 2008

fish pedicures


Sam and I were actually ahead of the curve on this one. When we were in Singapore last October both of us got a fish pedicure. Yep you read that correctly - a fish pedicure. We went to an aquarium in Singapore and on our way out we received a flyer advertising a pedicure that involved small fish commonly called doctor fish. I was intrigued and convinced Sam we needed to give it a try.

We were given the option of putting our feet in a pool with smaller fish or more aggressive ones so for our first time we chose the smaller fish. Sitting on the edge I suddenly lost my nerve and refused to put my feet in the water. Sam already had his feet in the water and his squeaks and squeals as the fish swarmed his feet made me much less inclined to go through with it. Finally after 5 minutes (Sam says much longer) I succumbed to his threats of bodily harm if I didn't join in and gingerly put one foot in. Somehow he felt since this was my idea originally I had better go through with it and I was missing out on a real opportunity. In reality he didn't want all the fish nibbling on his feet and wanted me to take some away from him.

What a crazy feeling. Just imagine your feet covered in small fish all nibbling away at you. Very bizarre but after a few minutes I got used to it though it still tickled. I was very grateful we chose the small fish after getting a look at the larger fish in the other pool. You could definitely feel the difference when the larger fish were nibbling on you.

I do have to say after we removed our feet that it was the softest my feet had felt in a long time. After playing tourist for a week and walking for miles all the dry skin and callouses were gone. I am not sure even if we get one in Seattle if I would go on a regular basis but I would definitely do it again every once in a while. Now it has made it to the U.S. if you want to go to Virginia. Here is the article that brought back such fond vacation memories.

No comments: