Monday, April 13, 2009

a wet Easter Sunday


Most people when they go to visit family go via car or plane. Not us we go via boat. Well at least we try to if it is at all possible. Luckily one of my sisters lives near a marina so when we decided to visit our newest nephew Sam saw it as an opportunity to get out on the boat.

Actually I was the one who suggested it but when I saw the forecast for a high of 50 and heavy rain I was started to back out. No such luck - Sam had already decided a wet boat ride beat a wet car ride any day in his mind.

Friday night was actually pretty nice - with a glimpse of sun even and smooth seas. By Saturday night though the rain had set it. Heavy downpours that showed no sign of relenting. After a Easter Sunday meal with all of my sisters and all of my nephews we decided it might be best to head out.

The rain only seemed to be getting heavier and the wind was picking up. On went the foul weather gear and gloves and off we set. My gear only stayed on long enough to leave the dock and get the fenders and lines securely stowed before I headed downstairs to heat and my Kindle.

Sam hung out on deck with his good friend Otto (Auto Pilot). Both of us were happy though I was much drier and warmer down below. The wind kept picking up and we got some good sized chop in the Sound but I must be getting better at this boating thing since all I asked was that Otto be turned off and Sam drive himself. He was wise enough not to ever mention putting up the sails as we motored along.

Unfortunately the wind didn't die much at the dock and it was blowing over 20 when we were heading down the row towards our slip. Fortunately Sam gave it some power and we slid right into the slip with me only having to jump a couple of feet away from the dock.

I do think Sam was a bit happy though to get off his fowl weather gear (but maybe that had something to do with how quickly he slid down the stairs to the head). Hey I figure the weather should only improve from this point and I might actually keep Sam company on deck.

If you would like us to show up for a visit just live close to a marina within a few hours sail or motor of Elliott Bay and chances are you will see us soon. We even come with our own bed and galley. Sam might not be much for driving places more than a couple of hours away but he is always up for a sail, even in a rain squall.

No comments: