Thursday, April 2, 2009

a big swing and a miss


After once again telling ourselves we would get out to the driving range on a regular basis this winter our clubs were for all intents and purposes in storage. Tuesday night we finally brushed off the cobwebs, literally unfortunately, dusted our shoes and headed up to the range.

Weather dictated a covered facility with heaters. We met after work and Sam thought it seemed very wrong on the drive up to the range his car said to be watch out for ice on the last day in March.

After a few big swings and misses (practice shots really) I made contact and send that white ball all the way to the first green. Which would have been fine but I was using my driver. Finally I got a bit more in the groove and had some decent shots. In fact by the end of my 100 or so balls I was doing pretty well, for me at least.

Which really is my big issue with a driving range. I can be hitting the ball well and feeling good but when I am on the actual course it doesn't go quite as well. I wonder if I can drag around a green mat with me. It would definitely help my game - a flat service and no rough no matter where my ball ends up.

That fake green grass mat really makes me feel like I am a better golfer than I really am. Maybe what I am really looking for is an entire golf course made out of green AstroTurf. It would be environmentally friendly - no water needed. Since that probably isn't likely anytime soon I just need to find a driving range with real grass but with our weather lately it does need to come with a heater as well.

In the meantime if I do make it on a golf course anytime soon I am going to assign some of the blame for any lousy holes to green AstroTurf.

No comments: