Monday, April 27, 2009

boating mechanic?


Friday evening Sam and I headed down south to the Dock Street Marina in Tacoma. It was actually the furthest south we had been on our boat. For the most part we head north but since it was a yacht club outing it got us to try somewhere new.

I was a bit surprised Sam was up for a Tacoma trip since our last few visits there haven't been something we care to repeat. Last time we visited Tacoma our truck was broken into and our computers stolen and the time before we were in the mall during a shooting. With those 2 incidents one can understand why Tacoma isn't high on Sam's list of places to visit.

Guess since we would be there by boat it changed the whole perspective and he was willing to give it a shot. Though he did lock up the boat every time we left it for some odd reason.

Saturday Sam decided to lower the dinghy and take us for a cruise around the harbor. Unfortunately our throttle only one 1 speed - fast! Luckily he had taken it out for a quick spin by himself since we hadn't used the dinghy for a few months and I wasn't aboard when he found out by having the dinghy point skyward when he hit the throttle. He quickly made it back to the boat and started to try and figure out what was wrong.

I headed below deck since usually the best assistance I can provide is to stay out of his way. About an hour in I suddenly hear my name being yelled and cautiously come up and see what is so urgent, wishing I had chosen to take my book someplace else. Turns out my mechanical skills are desperately needed - actually it is my smaller hands that would be the most assistance.

I am not very mechanically inclined or at least acknowledge no mechanical ability whatsoever. A boat engine is not something I care to place my hands into but I do really want a dinghy that works so I was willing to try. Sam had the cover off and my job was to try and attach a piece back on and then put a cotter pin back in place. Easier said than done.

I got the piece reattached in pretty short order but the cotter pin was an entirely different story. I dropped 2 into the depths of the motor and couldn't see them to try and retrieve them. Sam went to grab a flashlight to help out but that suddenly disappeared into the depths overboard as I tried to use it. Hey he was just lucky he was holding on to me and I stayed on board.

Hard to keep good help if they get wet unintentionally. I finally got the cotter pin back on after many efforts and the loss of a flashlight. Sam was pretty impressed though I was hoping my mechanic career was over. Especially since laying on the seat of a dinghy hunched over an engine with my butt in the air with Sam holding on to me isn't really the most graceful or dignified position. I was pretty happy we were a bit by ourselves on the dock for this show.

Unfortunately the throttle was still suck. But Sam realized I had put in enough time and effort and he stopped by Lowe's on the way home Sunday night to pick up a smaller set of tools. Pretty sure he figured out he had gotten all the mechanical assistance he would from me and he was on his own. If you see anyone driving around in a dinghy that goes just one speed - fast and is pointing skyward guess it still isn't fixed.

2 comments:

"Skipper" said...

Hi, Kayla -- thanks for commenting on my blog, and thanks for writing about it. I always enjoy it when I hear about new folks reading it -- and if you ever sail north to Victoria, look us up!

Kayla said...

Skipper - definitely will look you up when we make it to Victoria. Will keep reading your blog to keep up on your adventures.