Friday, February 27, 2009

summer cruising


The sun was shining today (after it actually snowed yesterday guess it is trying to make up to us for our previous morning surprise) and it got me thinking about our summer boating plans.

Last year by this time I had the summer scheduled out. I know that doesn't sound very spontaneous but I left some weekends open for wherever the wind would take us. But some of the marinas you need to have reservations to get in during the busy summer months since most of us boaters try and get in all the time we can on our boats during the months of July and August. Hey with a short summer window we need to maximize our time.

This year I am behind and don't have reservations at any marinas yet. I need to get started on getting my schedule together so I started thinking of where I wanted to go to this summer.

By the time I thought of all the incredible places I wanted to get to this summer in our own backyard like Spencer Spit (a special request from nephew Levi), Succia, Deer Harbor, Salt Spring Island, Anacortes, Poulsbo, Port Orchard, Bremerton, Blakely, Port Ludlow, Lake Washington, and then I want to head further south this year as well. Seems like I already have a full summer.

What really needs to happen is for us to be able to take the entire summer off to get to all the places we want to check out though in reality it would really take a year especially if we headed further north.

So since that isn't reality I will have to just overbook my summer like we always seem to and head out as often as we can starting when Sam gets back from Germany. But overbooking isn't so bad since really on a warm, sunny summer day being on a boat (in calm seas) is about as good as gets. I could get halfway through my list by summer if we start spending more time on the boat now. And I know I won't get any arguments from Sam on this at all.

As for my year off I want to sail I might have to use that year to just sail around year since there are so many places I want to visit again and all those places we haven't yet checked out. So really now it seems like I need 2 years instead of the one. Guess I had better just focus on making 1 happen and go from there.

No comments: