Thursday, February 12, 2009

staying home


It had to happen sooner or later but Sam is heading to Frankfurt, Germany while I will be staying home. Unfortunately the timing just isn't going to work out and he will be working even in the evenings so I wouldn't get the chance to see him at all. So I made the sensible decision (or so I thought) to stay home.

Typically during the day he will work but when he is off later in the evenings we go exploring together and on the weekends but this time he will be working much of it. I thought I had made peace with it but suddenly I am wishing I too could head off to Germany.

I started wondering why I suddenly had the urge to find a flight when I knew I wouldn't really see him and the weather forecast didn't look very good. Then I remembered how much I loved Germany when we went to Munich. Those Germans are very efficient - it was so clean and organized. Everything ran on time and with such precision.

They even all spoke English (other than anyone who worked at the information booth - still trying to figure that one out) and I didn't even have to try and stumble through my German phrase book with my terrible pronunciation. Germans seem to make the best apple pie and I do love a good apple pie. Then they have shops filled with amazing cooking utensils that I could browse through all day (and did in fact). They love modern furniture - and being close to Italy they make a mean cappuccino.

Then there are those the sausages - yum! But most of all there was a sense of belonging. Since everyone thought I was German (which I am partly) they would automatically speak to me in German and were surprised when I would ask if they spoke English. It turns out I had found a country that looked like me. In fact Sam said it was a country of Kayla's - he had always wondered what people I resembled (other than my family) and suddenly it was clear. I look German.

A country with excellent food, friendly people, great public transportation, a place where I felt safe even at midnight, great shopping, modern furniture, and I didn't even mention yet their love of boots. Store after store filled with boots. No wonder I suddenly was wishing I had bought my ticket, I was longing for my second home.

Of course Sam probably won't forgive me if I don't mention the most important part of Germany - they know how to make excellent modern sailing vessels. Turns out his second favorite German thing is our Hanse (hey I am ranking myself first here) sailboat. The Germans know how to build a sailboat even a power boater like myself could and did fall head over heels in love with. I still look our Hanse every time on the dock and think it is the most beautiful sleekest sailboat on the water.

Now Hanse also makes a powerboat and I have always dreamed of a his and hers set of boats sitting at the dock. So Sam if you are feeling bad for vacationing - I mean working - without me in my second country that Hanse powerboat would make an excellent souvenir.

No comments: