Monday, March 23, 2009

indoor pool


I wonder what age it is when the public indoor pool is no longer as appealing as it once was.

As a kid I spent many hours at the public pool leaving only when my mom made me or the pool closed. I thought it was one of the best places to hang out. I was never grossed out by the smell of chlorine or had to wear flip flops in the shower. I don't believe the thought of germs ever even crossed my mind.

Fast forward to this weekend. Tanya and I met up at Wapato Point for the weekend to hang out. We had gotten the time share in an auction and knew the boys would have a good time since they had an indoor pool. We showed up at the pool and the chlorine smell hit us right as we opened the door along with the moist, moist heat of an indoor pool. Funny how I knew the smell from childhood but it no longer made me smile instead I was wondering how long we would have to stay.

Once I would have jumped right into the pool but now we made our way to the hot tub while the boys jumped right in. We dangled our feet in the hot tub until the heat forced us to move over to the pool to dip our feet in there. I opened the sliding doors to the outside to try and get some cooler fresh air. Really the time went pretty quickly and about 2 hours later we dragged them out of the pool.

The next day it was pretty much the same routine though the number of people increased. Levi and Justin had friends come up so that kept them entertained. I noticed though we didn't stay nearly as long.

By the third time though I was pretty much done right when we entered the pool area. Too many people/kids and the humidity was getting a bit much. Right when we got there both Tanya and I were wondering how long it would be before we could leave. Could we tell them right away we would be leaving in 10 minutes?

The hot tub I had been dangling my feet in the previous 2 times suddenly seemed much more like a germ fest and I caught myself looking at some feet wondering if I wanted to be in the same warm water with them.

So I guess in my case it is 38 when the public inside pool isn't quite as appealing.

No comments: