Tuesday, March 24, 2009

0 in a 60 MPH zone


For almost 3 months now my truck speedometer has been broken. Initially Sam blamed it on the fact I had been using 4WD in the truck during the snow but after I went back to 2WD it still didn't work consistently. Occasionally I would drive along and it would suddenly register but it was never accurate and then it would be back down to zero when I looked again.

Since much of my driving is in Seattle traffic for the most part it hasn't been that big of a deal. After all most of the time I can't get up to the speed limit much less hit excessive speed.

It was almost freeing in a way since I really didn't know how slow the driver in front of me really was. I didn't get quite so annoyed because I couldn't actually verify they were really doing 20 in a 35 zone. It felt slow but I could no longer prove it.

I kept thinking maybe my speedometer would suddenly make a comeback but no such luck. I figured when it was time for my next oil change I would have them take a look. So finally after much procrastination on my part I made an appointment at the dealer to get it looked at for this next week.

This weekend I drove to Lake Chelan and unlike most of the time when I drive I was the only car on the road much of the time. I could have been driving 45 or 80 - I wasn't really all that sure. I planned if I was pulled over to use the no speedometer defense without mentioning I had waited so long. Luckily I didn't have to use it but I will admit I made unusually good time in getting home Sunday night.

After getting home in such good time I wondered if I really needed a speedometer after all. When one can make such good time not knowing if they were speeding it seemed like maybe I really didn't need it fixed. Maybe I should just wait and see if my excuse of driving 0 in a 60 MPH zone will work. Probably not so it just might be best to keep my appt on Friday.

I still have 3 more days of not knowing my speed so I will enjoy those and be in for a rude shock when my speedometer actually registers. Somehow I know I will see 80 when it feels like I am only driving about 50, so Friday will be a bit of a reality check.

Disclaimer: While this is what my speedometer looks like while driving on the highway I did not take this picture myself. I have been driving with both hands since it seems I need to hold the wheel in the 10 and 2 position lately to keep the car on the road around corners. I am sure this isn't do to excessive speed at all, but rather my newly acquired habit of following what I learned at 16 in drivers ed.

No comments: