Thursday, March 12, 2009

e books or paper?


I have been debating for some now about getting a Kindle but have held off. I am somewhat of an electronic gadget junkie and love having new gadgets before everyone else but when the Kindle came out I wasn't excited or even the least bit tempted.

Fast forward now to the Kindle 2 and suddenly my interest is perked. I am suddenly considering reading books without turning pages and holding a dog eared book in my hands. I have always felt it wouldn't feel like a book if I couldn't turn the pages and feel the paper but my library and book shelves are full. I put books I read now into my give away boxes but when it comes to sorting through my shelves and shelves of books I cannot bring myself to do it.

Also our travel guide books are starting to pile up and when we go on vacation I end up carrying a book to read and at least 2 travel guide books in my purse. While it might help me get in a bit of a workout it can be a bit tiring dragging them all over the city.

So now the Kindle 2 is looking very appealing and I suddenly have the need for yet another gadget. I will definitely still read paper books - after all I can get those for 99 cents and they can get wet at the beach, and best of all passed along.

When I told Sam I was finally considering it last night he of course had to mention that our boat would be much lighter without all the books I pack along. And if we are able to head out on our adventure some day there is no way our boat - no matter what the size - would be able to hold enough books for me to make it at sea for an extended period of time. Guess that once again shows Sam's thought process - if it is good for the boat and will increase the time I will spend on board he is all for it.

So in the interest of making our boat lighter I will be looking to pick up another gadget - guess it all makes sense when you think about it. Plenty of reading materials and less boat weight is definitely a reason to justify spending.

No comments: