Tuesday, August 19, 2008

water and sunshine

Ever drive by someplace or go somewhere and see people doing something you wish you could be doing? On the Columbia River by Entiat there is a place called Lake Entiat. I can't tell you how many times I have driven past there on the way to and from Lake Chelan, since it is clearly visible from the freeway, and wished I was the one out in the water. During hot summer days numerous boats are anchored or floating and people sitting or wading by their boats. It pretty much reminds me of the Redneck Yacht Club song. About 100 - 150 yards from the shore the water is about 1-3 feet deep depending on what is happening with the dam.

On a hot day not much looks better than standing or sitting in water next to your boat cooling off and hanging out with friends, especially as you drive by in your hot car with only recycled air to cool you off instead of water and a breeze. I would always look out the car window to see how many boats were out there.

Finally it was our turn. We decided we had enough wishing it was us hanging out in the water and we launched the boat and headed over to check it out.

Sometimes things we want to do don't live up to the hype and I had pretty much hyped this up in my mind so chances were that it wouldn't be as great as I had made it out to be in my mind. This time though it was everything I hoped for and more. Perfect weather, Tanya remembered chairs, a river temp of about 70, a record setting 104 degrees outside, 2 nephews to entertain us, an excellent book, plenty of good snacks, and ice cold drinks - what a way to waste an afternoon.

Even better cars were driving by us and I knew what they were thinking since so often it had been me driving by - "wish we were there in the river hanging out." Yep I do have to admit we were watching the cars laughing as they drove by knowing they were wishing they could be out there with us. Of course the next time I am the one driving by I will really know how much I am missing out on so in the end the laugh will be on me at least until I am able to spend another lazy afternoon hanging out in the river.

No comments: