Thursday, August 14, 2008

trying to watch the olympics

I love the Olympics. Normally I don't watch much swimming, track and field, diving, or beach volleyball but during the Olympics I am glued to the tv set. Well not really - I would like to be glued to the tv during this time but unfortunately our U.S. stations seem to want to try and make the Olympics a mini-series. News flash - the Olympics is a sporting event not a made for tv movie.

If you watched NBC prime time it would seem that the actual athletic event was a far second to the drama of the athletes lives and their struggles to make it to the Olympics. I think even NBC could make my life a huge sob story and a fascination piece on how I pulled myself out of my middle class Wenatchee upbringing and made it to living in the big city, having a job, and even being able to purchase a few toys. Only by sheer determination and will power was I able to make the move 2 1/2 hours away from my family, go to college, get a job, and support myself. What an accomplishment given my early upbringing and struggles. Cue up the music while we all shed a tear about how hard I had to work.

I know there have been struggles and athletes have worked tremendously hard to get there but come one can we just watch the actual sporting event so I can see them in action. If I wanted all the sob stories and drama I would watch a talk show not a sporting event. Instead I have to tune in Canadian programming to watch the events. Unlike U.S. programming there are other athletes in the games and not all the programming revolves around the U.S. getting a medal. Well unless Michael Phelps is swimming then all programming revolves around the U.S. getting another gold medal. While I definitely want the U.S. to win and try and get more medals than anyone else I also want to hear about India getting their first gold medal ever even if it is in air rifle event.

Now gymnastics is wonderful but honestly 3 nights so far of coverage is too much and we still have more tonight. They are cute and all but come on these people must really be midgets or smurfs. And I do have to say I don't think there is any way that one Chinese girl is really 16. I know I am somewhat height challenged but they make me seem like an Amazon. But then I guess the swimmers make me seem short - mom and dad thanks for helping me out in the genetics dept. Too tall for gymnastics, way too short for beach volleyball and swimming, and too top heavy for running, not to even mention my lack of athletic prowess and my desire not to break a sweat. Guess it is a good thing I was able to overcome all obstacles and get a job in spite of my challenges. I can hear the music starting right now as come to think of it I really have overcome quite a bit and need my own segment on NBC.

But maybe the real reason I don't like all the human interest stories is that it takes away from showing more of the male swimmers on the blocks and getting ready for their heats. They don't show them in their suits for the human interest pieces and I much prefer seeing them ready for their event. After all they have spent years getting ready and I should be able to enjoy their hard work.

No comments: