Tuesday, April 22, 2008

happy earth day


Today is earth day and unfortunately I need to be doing much more for our environment. There were several articles on things you could do to help out the environment but not many of them held much appeal. Here are some of the suggestions:

1. Taking shorter showers seemed to be on all the lists but I had our bathrooms remodeled and added 2 large shower heads and body sprays in our master bath. No way do I want to get out of my shower now in the recommended 2-5 minutes and I don't want to encourage Sam to take shorter showers since that is how he wakes up. Anyone who has spent much time with Sam early in the morning is sure to agree with me here.

2. Hanging your laundry to dry outside was another suggestion but where I live it is likely to get wetter if I put it outside most days and we live surrounded by very large trees so it would take days to dry even if it was sunny out. Yep am going to have to take a pass on this one as well.

3 Using your car less or carpooling was also suggested but if anyone has walked up my hill by my house with a few bags of groceries they know this isn't probably won't work very often unless all I am purchasing is bread and I am motivated for a good workout.

4. Taking your own bags to the grocery store for your groceries seemed like something I could do so I bought envirosax bags (yes of course they are stylish and cute otherwise why bother) to keep in my truck to use. Now if only I can remember to actually bring them in the store.

5. Recycle - now this I do but it seems that both my recycling bin and the garbage are full but am going to keep on trying.

6. Grow your own vegetables. Sorry but this one is a lost cause as well due in part to our shady yard and the fact I remember weeding my parents garden growing up. I will instead try to buy more produce that is grown locally.

I have decided I will concentrate on trying to produce less waste, reusing containers, and shopping locally. Maybe by next Earth Day I will have found an electric car that will help cut down on how much gas I use and I won't be quite so enamored with my new shower.

No comments: