Monday, March 31, 2008

fresh powder


Friday Tanya and I took a vacation day to hit the slopes and get a lesson in the process. It was women's day at Mission Ridge and we both decided a lesson would be a great idea based on our skiing form. We can get down about anything (well maybe not the runs Phil or Don dream up) but it sure isn't very pretty. This late in the season we were pleasantly surprised to have fresh snow on the mountain - in fact our first run down we were skiing fresh powder. The snow continued throughout the day and by the end there was at least a foot of fresh snow for us to make tracks in. The lesson must have been a success since both of us even skied a black diamond run under the chair. Skiing a run under the chair is always a test of your ability and willingness to show off your less than stellar form (in my case here). For some reason skiing under the chair for an audience always seems to downgrade my skiing at least 2 levels - good thing I didn't take up acting for a living as the stage doesn't seem to be my forte. I know I am assuming others are actually watching but I know I watch everyone ski when I am on the lift myself so I don't think it is that big of a stretch. The lesson was great and maybe next year I will actually start the season with a lesson instead of at the end when I can forget it by next ski season.


Here is to fresh powder and learning how to make graceful turns (ok still working on that piece) not to mention a workout I felt the next day in my calf muscles. Guess I must have learned something new as I have never had sore calf muscles after skiing before.

No comments: