Wednesday, June 10, 2009

throw in a little sunshine


Hopefully I don't have anyone reading this contemplating a move to the Seattle area but we are having weeks of sunshine here in our typically gray rainy May/June Seattle. Of course after our extended, way too cold winter, we are definitely due for some blue sunny skies and warm temps.

Unfortunately I missed 5 of our sunny days due to a business trip to Vegas where I added 2 personal days in the beginning. Only those who live hear understand how disappointed I was to leave 70-80 degrees of Seattle sunshine for 95 degrees of Vegas sunshine even if it did include a pool. To miss any sunny Seattle days here is out of the question for most of us. While many people travel during July and August most residents here stay in the area. When warm sunny days are at a premium we don't want to miss any.

I guess it is just one more thing that makes us unique (or so we like to think) here. Winter - time to pack the bags and head out, but summer is a time to stay put or in our case pretend we are boating liveaboards. I really don't mind the gray, rainy weather but by the time the sun comes out I am so ready for it and ready to soak it in.

Unfortunately this year our house is a bit hotter than usual since we are missing a few trees that if we had not removed them might have landed on our roof sometime in the near future. While Sam may have been tempted in hopes I would pack up and head towards the boat permanently even he decided that may not be the best way to make that happen. But I am not going to complain about how hot it may get since that just means the sun is still out.

It truly is true here that Seattle residents know more people with boats than air-conditioning. But then I think I know more people with boats than without one (and I definitely feel sorry for those without one - hey there are some great deals out there now).

Now I just need to figure out how to run my laptop off of solar power so I can sit outside and get enough Vitamin D to last me through a Seattle winter. I can't say I had ever really considered solar power being any kind of option here for the most part especially in June.

So I am hoping we are in for the kind of Seattle summer I have only dreamed about cause I do believe we got enough snow this year that I will still be able to water our plants. And if I can't water well then I will just have to head out on the boat while my plants turn brown - it is a price I am willing to pay this year for sunshine.

No comments: