Monday, June 29, 2009

more caffeine please


Sunday afternoon Sam and I headed to Poulsbo to stay for the week. Poulsbo hosts a 3rd of July celebration with fireworks over the harbor and the best way to ensure your boat has a spot at the dock is to arrive a few days before since they don't take reservations for the 3rd since it is so popular.

We have started to make a week of it and commute into work for the week. Before I worked in Seattle instead of in Redmond it was a bit more convenient but it is worth it to stay aboard for a week.

I was really looking forward to my week until Sam told me he had to be at the office at 6:45 this morning for a meeting he was facilitating which meant he couldn't take the call in route. Of course he didn't mention this until Sunday afternoon as we were already in route on the boat. I am pretty sure it was planned so I couldn't back out and he had company for his morning ride in.

After checking the ferry schedule last night we realized it would mean catching the 5:20 ferry and leaving the slip by 4:40 in the morning.

While I am a morning person I don't consider 4 a.m. a time to get up. The only reason I should ever see 4 a.m. is if I am going to bed from the night before and even then I am usually not much interested in that option either.

The espresso machine came in quite handy this morning but we could really have used bigger mugs. After getting at the ferry with no traffic (seems most everyone else thinks the 5:20 ferry might be a bit too early as well) we watched the sunrise over the water. I thought it was beautiful but given the choice I would choose my bed any day. Actually I was the only one in the truck watching since Sam was taking a nap. Wasn't he the one that should be awake since he was the reason we were even out of bed?

After arriving in Seattle we hit an coffee shop for more caffeine. Being the kind person I am I gave Sam part of mine. After driving over 520 I was wishing I had some more caffeine so I stopped at Starbucks for a bit more of a pick me up. Lunch resulted in more caffeine - this time in the form of a diet coke. Afternoon meant I needed another caffeine jolt to get me through the day so I got an iced tea, venti sized.

I think it is a good thing I don't have to do this every morning since I would most likely need some kind of caffeine iv to get me through the day. Normally 1 latte and 1 diet coke is exactly what I need but today I couldn't seem to get enough caffeine to make up for the time the alarm sounded.

I asked Sam what time his first call was tomorrow but he couldn't remember. Somehow I am not thinking this bodes well for me at all since I am pretty sure he would remember if he could start his day at a normal hour - lets say at 8. Wonder how much caffeine I will need to do this 2 days in a row? If he is smart he will just set the alarm for 4 and pretend it is later until I have already taken a shower oh and he might try and find a bigger coffee cup so I can at least get a head start on my caffeine intake.

No comments: