Thursday, May 22, 2008

officially "old"


It seems that I have officially become old. There seems to be a moment in life when you realize you aren't as young as you think you are. For me it happened because I am complaining about what things cost. I called my sister Tanya and told her I just barely kept my gas charge under $100 when I filled up my truck and I couldn't believe gas was over $4 a gallon.

I was very happy I actually stopped at the gas station before I hit empty. She called back and left me a vm saying diesel was now at 4.999 and Corey only gets 8 miles to the gallon in his truck. Then she added we are now old since we are now complaining about what things cost. Guess she is right since as a kid I didn't understand why grownups were always talking about how much things cost vs. what they used to cost.

Now I finally doing the same thing myself so I must be getting old. Why I remember when I could fill put $5 of gas in my car and it would get me quite a ways and would last a week. Now $5 won't even get me to work now. Granted my car then was a Sprint that got the best gas mileage ever - which begs the question of why cars that are deemed fuel efficient still don't come close to reaching the almost 50 MPG I could get on the freeway.

Of course I am not sure it would ever pass a safety inspection now but it was a great car. My senior year of college I had to share it with Tanya - if you thought sharing toys were tough when you were little try sharing a car in college. Luckily I got the better end of the deal being the older one since the car was parked at my apartment though she was welcome to walk or take the bus to come pick it up if needed.

Now the "old" part has been verified since I was just rambling on about the "good old days." Wow - it has officially happened though I will still be in denial. On the other hand my sister Carla, being 9 years younger, constantly reminds me just how old I am and I have ignored her for awhile.

I have decided I will remain in denial and try and remember not to complain about what things cost at least until I really do put $100+ worth of gas in my truck. When that happens I will definitely be complaining once again so instead I will keep trying to fill up my truck earlier and earlier keeping it below the dreaded $100.

No comments: