Tuesday, May 27, 2008

back to work already?


How is it that a 3 day weekend is even shorter than the normal 2 day weekend? That has got to be one of life's unanswerable questions. As kids Tanya and I had questions we didn't think had an answer and now I am going to add this new one to the mix. After all I don't think we ever figured out if walking in the rain or running in the rain made one wetter.

Maybe part of it is that you look forward to the 3 day weekend and then the anticipation makes it even shorter or is it that you pack as much as possible into the 3 days. I just know that they go by even quicker than the normal weekend which is saying something. Work often goes by quickly but a holiday is over it seems before you even have had your first morning latte.

Guess it means we had a really good time over Memorial day weekend. We went with a group to Des Moines Marina. Funny thing is that we weren't super excited about the destination since that is where we kept our first boat. We kept it in a storage unit and then dragged it out and had to use the hoist to put it into the water.

If you ever want to give yourself an adrenaline rush try using the hoist for the boat the first time after getting your 5 minute demonstration - trust me that will do it for you once you see your boat swinging in the air and realize you are responsible for it. You definitely make sure your insurance is up to date.

For those unfamiliar with this contraption it is a bit like a crane with straps you put around your boat and then gently (hopefully) lower into the water. I do have to say though my heart rate always increased a bit every time Sam used it. The fun just started for Sam then since he still had to put on the mast and sails. Since he had chosen a sailboat I had told him early on this would be his responsibility and he was never able to convince me otherwise.

Like every place else Des Moines has grown quite a bit and it was a great marina, so we were pleasantly surprised. Maybe part of it being better than our memories was the fact our boat was already in the water with the mast on. The marina was very clean with restaurants and shops close by. There was even a very good butcher shop that sold smoked beef tri-tip which was so good we consumed it for breakfast.

Monday we had a brief memorial service on the fishing pier where we dropped flowers in the sound and read a brief prayer. Definitely good to remember what Memorial Day is for and how much we appreciate those who have served our country. Luckily for me I had 2 sisters, dad, and grandpas who all served so I didn't have to - thanks! We know the uniform isn't really my color and that I would refuse to do push-ups which would get me kicked out quickly.

I am already looking forward to the next 3 day weekend - wonder how quickly that one will go by.

No comments: