Monday, May 12, 2008

money - where does it all go?

The dreaded b word - budget. It is a word that strikes fear in my heart. I really don't want to know how much I spend on eating out, heating our house, and more frightening on cute shoes. Even worse is seeing how much we spend now on gas which cuts into my shoe spending. I have resisted all budgeting software to date but I finally found something relatively painless (and free!) which even breaks down your spending in pie chart format if you so desire. It is http://www.mint.com/.

You sign up by loading your account information and then it will track your purchases for you and put them into various categories. Initially you may have to change the labels as it might not recognize the merchant. The tool sends you a weekly update to show your top merchants and categories if you don't want to log in too frequently like myself. So far it seems to be working well with little effort on my part. Just thought I would share something that has made my life a bit easier without having to put my nose to the grindstone or my fingers to the keyboard.

No comments: