Friday, September 12, 2008

job perks!


Since you have spend so much of your life at work and it often demands much more time and energy than you want to give it should come with perks besides getting a paycheck. At the very least you should be married to someone with good job perks. Fortunately for me Sam has had some excellent job perks.

Granted he didn't start off so strong and I married him before I realized how important job perks were. Pizza is good but after he worked there for 13 years pizza got a bit boring and I had to eventually learn to cook. His next job he really made up for it and I got a Nordstrom discount. That is about the best job perk ever though some months I think he thought he should sign over his paycheck especially during the Anniversary sale. It is hard to find anything much better than discounted shoes and handbags from a store that carries about every brand you can imagine. Just think about walking into Nordstrom at any time and knowing the whole store was 33% off - still makes me a bit nostalgic to think about it. Don't even get me started on the sample sales I don't want to remember how much I miss those bags of clothes.

When he left Nordstrom it was a very sad day for me and my accessories. I have never had quite as many cute shoes and now I don't get a handbag for every season. My personal style has suffered a severe decline though my closet isn't nearly as full.

His next job didn't have clothing discounts but it did allow me to travel with him to London, Paris, Munich, Tokyo, and Singapore. Not too shabby and it certainly beat free pizza though in London I was wishing for seriously good food and a pizza would have been devoured.

For his next company I was wondering how he was going to top clothing discounts and world travel - the bar was set pretty high and I had very high expectations. I was hoping for free airline tickets, discounts at a high end clothing company, or exotic travel destinations. Luckily for him he did get travel perks again as we will be heading to the Netherlands in October. He will be working in Almere about 15 miles from Amsterdam. While Sam is working I will be off exploring the city so when he gets off work I will be well versed in public transportation and where to spend our evenings and weekend.

Thanks Sam for coming through for me again. How about Italy or Brazil for your next trip? Just remember I share my job perk of discounted cell phone service, seems like a fair trade to me.

No comments: