Monday, February 18, 2008

hitting the slopes


Skiing - something I love to do but never seem to get enough of. Each year I watch the new Warren Miller ski film and am motivated that this is the year I will get good and lose my fear of crashing.

So far this year is holding true to form and I still don't like to have a yard sale crash and I haven't gotten as good as I was hoping for. My nephew Justin just started skiing this year and he has no fear. I guess it does help if you are much closer to the ground though I do admit I am closer to the ground than others.

Justin just heads down the hill and wants you to follow him - he only stops when he crashes or runs out of speed. It has been fun going up with him though he does make me a bit nervous on the chair lift. I am a bit scared riding up the chair lift anyways since I have a fear of heights and adding a 4 year old to the mix can be a bit challenging. Justin doesn't have the same need to hang onto the pole for dear life as I do and enjoys swinging his feet - all of which make me remind him to hold on for dear life as I am doing. He pretty much ignores my pleas but so far he has stayed on the chair.

I am ready for another dump of fresh snow at Stevens and Mission Ridge. Maybe there still will be time this year to forget my fear and just head straight down the hills - no making the wide turns on those black diamond mogul runs, just point my body down the hill and go for it.

There is something about getting out on the slopes that is invigorating and freeing. My sister Janna used to have a quote in her room as a teenager that said "Socrates said no man is truly free. Socrates never skied." I think that sums it up perfectly.

No comments: