Saturday, January 23, 2010

snow birds


The 2nd week in January Sam had to go to San Diego for work. Now San Diego in January sounded pretty appealing so we decided to make a weekend out of it and spend some time in the sun.

Granted I had just taken time off around the holidays but who wants to get back into work mode all at once so I decided a few more days of vacation would do me good especially if I could go somewhere warm with water.

I have always wondered about the snow bird phenomenon - I enjoy sun and warm weather during the winter but a break or 2 always seemed good to me and I was ready to go back to Seattle. On Sunday on the boardwalk in the sun in San Diego I changed my mind - I was starting to understand the concept. Having a place in San Diego to visit in the winter while still living the rest of the year in Seattle suddenly sounded like a fabulous idea. I mean I could really get into this sunshine thing during January, February, March, and if I am honest about our weather April, May, and sometimes June as well.

Not sure what was in the air down there but I began fantasizing about a vacation condo in San Diego. Of course then Sam mentioned that he would definitely need a boat in San Diego since the water is right there. I was the voice of reason by reminding him that bringing our boat down in November or December along the Pacific coast wouldn't be a very smooth easy ride and he would need to find a new first mate. Of course that didn't go so well since then we would now need 2 boats for this to work. Suddenly reality set in I was back on board with winters in Seattle. I can visit warmer destinations to get some sun and then head home once again.

So while I understood the snow bird deal for a brief, brief time I realized probably I had gotten a bit of sunstroke while getting so much sun all at once after months of deprivation. Really I think much clearer in a cooler wetter climate and now I am back to not understanding the snow bird thing but that may be my lack of ownership in San Diego.

No comments: