Wednesday, June 24, 2009

more toys on the big toy


I accuse Sam all the time about how many toys he has and how many more he wants. I will admit that some of them I definitely enjoy as well but he is usually the one who initiated the purchase. But lately I seem to be the one eyeing and thinking about new toys to take on the boat.

On our boat we opted to have a storage locker instead of a 2nd bunk in the stern of the boat. We figured having 1 guest bunk was plenty and storage was a much larger priority. It is a pretty good sized storage locker but we seem to have filled it up.

Soon after getting our boat I found an inflatable kayak and decided I really needed to have it. Of course once I had one then Sam needed one as well so we could kayak together. We found out quite a while ago that the double kayak was too big of a test for our marriage and the single was the only way to go. So now we had 2 kayaks and 2 paddles in our storage locker.

Then somehow Sam sold me on the fact he needed his own dive gear. He told me how much money we would save when he could clean the bottom himself and how much faster we would go if it was cleaned regularly. So now the storage locker has dive gear and a tank.

These large items are in addition to Sam's fishing gear, extra lines, extra drinks, a tool kit, and various other items I cannot recall. So the other weekend when I rode a fold up bike I suddenly had the urge to add to our locker. A bike would be an excellent addition to our boat and would be quite a bit of fun when we ventured to more remote ports. But if I had a bike we would suddenly need 2 and I decided not to buy one just yet (well Sam might have literally dragged me away but I prefer to pretend I was making a rational thought out decision).

So far I haven't yet succumbed and bought a bike but I do realize it is really only a matter of time. Then 2 weekends ago we played golf and brought along our golf clubs on the boat. Since I have a rather large golf bag it was a bit of a challenge to drag it down the stairs.

While on a green I was struck by inspiration after a particularly good shot (one of only about 2 that day) and mentioned to Sam we should really have golf clubs on board. Maybe we could get 1 small bag and each have a few clubs since really we mainly use the same ones. We both thought this was a great brainstorm and started discussing which clubs we would each need. Now while we haven't added this yet I am pretty sure it is coming.

So last night while on the boat I checked out the storage locker and realized it was pretty full. The bikes and golf gear might not easily fit. But then I saw that there was plenty of room on the bed in the back guest bunk and since we don't have guests every weekend that could be a second storage place. I mean if someone was lucky enough to come aboard they really shouldn't mind cleaning out the back bunk before crashing.

So if you suddenly come aboard and see the back bunk is full at least you know what happened and we will have bikes and golf clubs you can use in addition to some kayaks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keeping up with the latest toy recalls that might affect you is important, and you know it, but like the rest of us, you likely find yourself with no time to hunt them all down from various merchants' websites.