Tuesday, June 16, 2009

books and a boat


Monday night was book club and it was my turn to host. Since everyone in the book club with the exception of myself lives in Seattle and most people in Seattle think of the Eastside as being closer to Outer Siberia than Seattle I offered to host on our boat.

Last night as I headed down to the boat to open it up (air it out since it was actually a bit warm inside - that really put a smile on my face) and get the food set up I had to laugh at myself. I had not really envisioned hosting any type of event on our boat while just sitting at the dock without Sam being there. But I guess a captain isn't required for hosting, just for the actual boating part and maintenance - I think first mates might be the better hosts.

I realized that I had started to think of the boat as a second home, someplace where I would go hang out with friends even while it was still at the dock.

It was a great evening and it did feel like a home - though a very small one. There was plenty of room on board and it seemed like everyone enjoyed themselves. Halfway through we moved from the deck to downstairs as the wind had picked up and the sun had started to go down. I was perfectly comfortable but then it seems I have been spending much more of my time outside with breezes when we sail.

The good thing about hosting on a boat is the tour most people want to have of your place takes very little time. Well it does for me anyways since Sam wasn't on board to point out all the small details. I just showed them our bedroom and the back guest room and the rest they could see for themselves. I did make sure to show how the head works since that can really affect enjoyment of the boat the next time we go out for the weekend if someone wasn't clear on how it works.

Guess this means I might be getting closer to liveaboard consideration since I have now proved I am willing to entertain via the boat though it will have to be on a larger boat. Our boat is the perfect size right now since we have a house but I still will need a shoe closet, a freezer large to hold more than 10 ice cubes, and a fridge door capable of accepting Tupperware larger than 7" across before I consider living on a boat for longer than a few weeks.

No comments: