Wednesday, March 10, 2010

new recipes


So one of my resolutions this year was to try a new recipe once a week. I know when I came up with my list it all sounded pretty good and easy on paper and reality definitely didn't enter into the equation. Pretty much like it was in 2009 when I came up with the same resolution. I had high hopes for all that I would accomplish once again before day to day life got in the way.

Really after a long day of work what I really want is someone else to cook and clean for me. My mom says it is easier to eat at home but I don't buy into her theory at all. I think it is much easier to go out any day and have someone wait on me and refill my drink as needed.

Honestly I had really somewhat forgotten my recipe plan - probably was right there along with my plan to update my blog 5 times a month. But then of course someone asked me and I was busted. So I started thinking back to whether I had come close or not and was surprised when really I hadn't done so badly. Of course it probably helped that this week alone I made 3 new recipes all at one meal. My sister Carla told me it was 4 recipes actually since the marinara sauce and meatballs were 2 items - I like how that gal thinks must be a genetic thing.

So when I thought back I had done pretty well for the most part and had tried quite a few new recipes though not all would be back for a second round. Some were easy like the Brie, apple, turkey paninis I made while others like the sauce I made took a few hours. What I realized is going to be the true challenge is when we are spending more time on the boat.

With my limited space on board I don't have the vast array of ingredients to choose from and an oven that really just gets hot doesn't bode well for any temperature sensitive recipes - especially desserts. It seems I primarily make the same things that I know are easy and where the pans clean up easily. For this reason alone I have banned eggs with the exception of baggie omelets. Eggs on a boat just make me nervous - from breaking in the fridge to cleaning the pans they just don't seem like a boating ingredient.

So I am going to take this resolution to the next step - probably since I am not currently on a boat and ideas always seem better in theory than practice - and try a new boating recipe each time we head out for the weekend.

I am sure Sam and our guests are eager to try something new beside what I (and Tanya) consider boat food - Ceviche, brownies, veggies and dip, chicken skewers with peanut sauce, cheese and crackers, and blue cheese dip. Though I have to admit any of those items right now sound pretty good and I am not tired of any of them, but when anyone who has been on the boat a few times has the menu memorized it might be time for a bit of a change.

Now I am starting to wonder how my Kitchenaid mixer and my Cuisinart can be used on board or nailed to my limited counter space. I can't really think of many new recipes which didn't use at least one of these. I might actually have to learn how to stir by hand again or chop onions on a cutting board. I think for this new plan I am going with simple though that might mean I need a panini maker now - wouldn't a new type of panini sandwich count here? So really this just means I will be bringing new items on board the boat - I just will need to figure out what I can get Sam to get rid of in the name of new good eats!

No comments: