Wednesday, September 16, 2009

babies aren't really my thing


While many people (usually women) love babies I am not among them. I think they are fine but don't experience the excitement other women do when they see a baby or if they are very lucky, get to hold one. I do the courtesy hold since refusing is usually not an option and make the obligatory comments about how cute he/she is but all the while I am usually wondering how long before I can return them back to their rightful owner.

It is a tricky deal but usually there is someone around me eagerly awaiting their turn so I can hand them over pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike them but I don't really think they are terribly interesting.

Now when babies turn into toddlers and start walking, talking, and interacting I am interested. This is a stage where their personalities start to come through and I think they are very engaging. I enjoy having them talk to me and want to play and I can actually do something with them. Babies don't do much - and that is primarily why I don't find them fascinating as a lot of the population does.

Now maybe you are thinking it is because I don't have children but I don't think that is really the case. 2 of my sisters have children and they still aren't baby people either. They much prefer children when they have left the baby phase. I know many people miss the baby stage when it is over but they think leaving the baby phase behind is a good thing.

Labor Day weekend I headed over to Wenatchee with my sister Carla and her husband Dave. Sam was heading to Paris for business so I hitched a ride with them. When they arrived at my house I got in the back seat with Baby Ethan who is 5 months old. Now I think he is pretty cute but so far he doesn't do much though he loves to smile.

After watching him smile and laugh at me for 3 hours though I started to get the baby thing a bit more. He has the biggest grin and laugh - as far as babies go he is very happy and content. Carla says that everyone at his daycare loves him since he is one of the happiest kids.

I was thinking maybe I could start to get the baby thing. But then of course Baby E did what all babies do eventually - cry and keep crying. And as he had gotten older the crying has gotten louder, much louder and didn't stop for quite some time. The next morning when he was up at 5 on a weekend just verified my thinking all along - babies aren't really my deal.

Ethan, for a baby I think you are about the cutest one out there right now and I enjoy holding you but honestly I am ready for you to be a year old and start talking to me and interacting more. Because honestly if you haven't gotten me into the baby phase no one will.

No comments: