Wednesday, May 7, 2008

back to 1st grade

So last Thursday was my first day teaching the Junior Achievement program to 1st graders. Not having much experience with 1st graders other than when I was one much longer ago than I care to recollect and when I tutored them in college I turned to my nephew Levi who is in 1st grade.

Levi states he is really NOT a phone guy so telling him his Aunt Kayla needed advice was the secret to getting him on the phone. The lesson plan was a bit convoluted so I wanted his feedback on what he thought would work. The 1st lesson was about families how they are different and how they work together.

I asked Levi how I should introduce myself and if I should tell them a bit about his background - he told me that they weren't going to be very interested in a long introduction and didn't care for much detail on my life. I also found out cool pencils and animal stickers are a great reward and I didn't need to bring in treats as they bring their own lunch to school. This part I wasn't sure of cause I did remember I enjoyed treats myself but figured he knew best.

He also told me the students would want to talk about themselves and I should make sure to call on different students each time. Levi also reminded me they like to help out and to have them help me pass out the various items. I asked him who was in his family and he told me his mom, dad, Oscar (the family dog) and his little brother so that was a good reminder that kids view their pets as part of the family though this is something I still agree with.

Well Levi's good advice and suggestions paid off. The students weren't particularly interested in a long bio of me and they all wanted to participate. The stickers and pencils were a huge hit though I heard a few of them eagerly offering to trade with their neighbors as I had handed out a wide variety. Most were eager to share and some were so excited when I called on them they went blank and realized they had nothing to say after all.

All in all I thought it went well - much better than Sam's experience though I had 1st grade in Issaquah and he had the Alternative High School in White Center so that could explain it. Personally I wanted to volunteer with younger children for whom an adult guest teacher is a treat and put myself in a situation where I couldn't mess it up too badly if I had stickers to hand out at the end.

Thanks to Levi for reminding me what matters to a first grader and that it was about them and not me. The lesson for tomorrow is about needs and wants which should prove interesting and might be a good reminder for me as well. I do know that teaching wasn't ever the career path for me and this served as a good reminder. Definitely respect those who can control a class of 1st graders by just asking them to freeze!

No comments: